Tuesday, July 10, 2007

3 week update

Yay! We have phone and internet!!!!!!!!!! Woo hoo!!! ok, so I'm a little excited. We have been in Peru now, for 3 weeks. It has been very busy, it hardly seems like the time has gone by, and on the other hand, we've gotten so much done that it seems like it's been much longer. We are getting settled. Right now, we aren't doing any regular ministries in the church, and we almost feel lost without doing them. But, all in good time.

I did get to participate in a ladies reunion on a Friday. We had bible studies, worship and some food, served by the guys. It was a nice time together. Betty and Silvia did the teachings.


It was good, although I didn't understand all of the teachings. After a while, my brain sort of shuts off and I have to keep reminding it to understand the language. It really is sort of like that, as funny as it may sound.

And the guys that helped out. Brian calls them "the sufferers." Ha ha. Thanks, guys, we really do appreciate these sorts of things.


Some days we take things at a little slower pace. We always have a lot to do, but we might stop at the park on the way to the grocery store, or look at the funny fish at the fishtank place. This day we went over to the little arcade place and let the kids have a ride on the motorcycle thingy. It's important for the kids. and boy, do they love it!!!


On Saturday, I went over some songs with Angie. Then playtime came. Kilaine learned "mi turno, mi turno," pretty quickly. That means "my turn."

This is a picture I took from my kitchen window. This is an indian lady walking across the street from my house. You can see many indigenously dressed women throughout the city, sometimes with a baby tied to their back, usually selling something on the side of the road. I have been wondering where they live and how to reach out to this people group. Something to pray about.
This is my lovely little cute kitchen. And I mean little. But, once Robin found the perfectly sized small bookshelf, I had just enough space for things. And the coffee pot doesn't have to live on the floor (which I'm sure Robin greatly appreciates!)

This is Ayumi. She lives at the church with her mom, Karla. She came over today so Luz could watch my kids (Luz watches her throughout the week while Karla works). She's such a cutie pie! She's 2 years old. We'll probably teach her more english than she'll teach us spanish!

Luz cooked for us today, too!!! She's been helping us a lot. She helped us clean the apartment, shop for food, and she's teaching me how to cook. Well, she cooks and I watch and write feverishly. Cooking has definitely been an adventure for me so far. I keep burning things because I'm not used to a gas stove. Eventually I'll get the hang of it.
Missions is definitely more than just street evangelism. It's life. Regular life. Every couple of days I carry my clothes down to the lavanderia that's right by my house. That's a place where they clean your clothes for you. Sometimes it takes a while to drop off your clothes and to pick them up, because they have to weigh them and count them and all of that. But, I've been talking to the lady that runs the store, and getting to know her a little bit. It's good. I'm hoping to continue to build a relationship with her, and maybe I will have an opportunity to talk to her about the Lord. We shall see.
Robin gets up every morning and walks to the church to meet with Brian and Jimmy at 5:00 in the morning to pray for an hour. It's awesome. I'm so glad he has the opportunity to do that. And I'm really glad it was on Brian's heart to do that, too.
We are both getting to know people little by little. On Sunday afternoon, I got to practice with the worship team. I'm going to start playing with them on this coming Sunday. I'm looking forward to it. They are already teasing me about my spanish, which is good. You just have to laugh along with them (besides, sometimes, it really is funny!).
Tomorrow I am going to Ayacucho with 5 other ladies. That's about 3 or 4 hours away up in the mountains. I'm really excited to see some other parts of Peru. We will come back on Saturday. It's a short missions trip. I don't really know what's in store, but I'm ready to do some worship along the way. Maybe next time I'll be more ready to teach in spanish.
Well, that's the update for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad things are working out for all of you downthere. Life is a learning process specially when adjusting to a new way of living, culture, language and more. But the best of all, is that the gospel and Jesus are in your heart and you want everybody else to know about. Keep on doing the good job.
Mike E.

Mike Jones said...

Thanks for the update! These blogs are great because it really helps to know what to pray for "real-time" versus waiting for a newsletter that may contain dated information. Thank you for doing this. Its good to see Liam and Kiliane smiling. I am sure they will adjust to their new life even quicker than you and Robin. I will be praying!

I praise God for what He is doing through you down in Peru. What an awesome priviledge to be chosen by God to do what you are doing!

Mike Jones

Anonymous said...

very cool stuff!

(btw, is that your guitar?)